Feb 14, 2006

With Love.

Amardeep posted up a couple of lists of V-Day music. Good idea, regardless of my thoughts about the day. Still, I may be full o' rage, but I ain't nothing like the list of nations around the world who can't stand Valentine's day, with India leading the charge. I can't remember if Europe feels about Valentine's day as it does Halloween (it's funny that we have to look to Europe when it comes to someone trying to put the brakes on the coca-colonization of the world's cultures, but I guess we could write reams about the privilege to resist and all that, but back to love).

Don't have time to think of a full list, but here are some personal faves - not too obscure, but beyond the most obvious...

1. In a Sentimental Mood, Duke Ellington & John Coltrane.
2. Please Forgive Me, David Gray.
3. Her Majesty, The Beatles.
4. Wonderin' Aloud, Jethro Tull.
5. Cool Drink of H20, Kevin So.
6. Ascension (Don't Ever Wonder), Maxwell.
7. Somebody to Love, Queen.
8. The Sweetest Taboo, Sade.
9. World Without Love, Anything Box.
10. Try, Nelly Furtado.

2 comments:

flygirl said...

I think I know more of the ones on Amardeep's list. But Magnetic Fields *mild shudder* Quite a mix there, brownman.

This is another wastrel comment to say "Happy V-Day" and love the new header photo (bg)

Rage said...

Hmm. Magnetic Fields are on his list too. Yah - I know very few Hindi songs by name... just by the sound of them b/c of Mom...

Thanks re: the photo - it's a classic from the BBC. Been photo-minin'.