Feb 1, 2005

Fur out

A childhood friend of mine just got a job with PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) and in one fell swoop, has out-radicalized the rest of her friends who work in some kind of socially conscious job or space. Not that I'm saying that I agree with everything that they do, but PETA ranks right up there with ALF and ELF (Animal/Earth Liberation Front). She's already a vegetarian, but I've started a pool amongst our friends about how long it will take her to go vegan.

Still, more power to her for actually taking this leap from working as a journalist for a number of years to actually staking out ground on the other side, working on media content and internet public relations for such a strong org. I'll be interested to hear about the internal dynamics - are there a lot of people of color involved in these radical animal rights organizations? Though I'm all for the fight, I feel like it's primarily a white liberal issue. Am I wrong?

No comments: