Feb 11, 2005

DesiArt, Inc?

light trails

After listening to the Himalayan Project CDs that A lent to me last week, I've been thinking about how few progressive desi music projects I know of that are based in the US. Finding ADF from the UK was a revelation for me a few years ago. Their political voice, ferocity, and commitment to grassroots organizing and empowerment were immediately inspirational. But what about here? Don't we have enough of a history in the United States to begin to see musical work that incorporates and embraces those histories?

I hear some of that in Vijay Iyer's piano and jazz arrangements, but no matter how accessible it may seem or become, it's still not a popular music format, and very few people can hear the message without the words. So what about other music projects? Have I just been out of the loop, or are there very few of them around? I mean, of course people point to Freddie Mercury (British, anyway, and though brilliant, he was mainstream with Queen), Kim Thayil of Soundgarden (who has even heard him speak about anything), Tony Kanal of No Doubt (oh yeah! you're saying to yourself... he is brown), and that brown guy in Sum 41 who gets the least screen time, isn't mentioned in many interviews with the band, but I think is the shredding Maiden-head who gives them their edge, and we can't forget Sonya Mandan of Echobelly (British again, but righteous).

I know that there's music out there, especially in the world of underground and local hip-hop - as this article testifies, but it's so hard to find and to connect to. Is it that the music is so far on the periphery, or that I'm so removed from this scene?

Even the writing scene has been a disappointment. How many pieces are out there that talk about a return to South Asia, or arranged marriages - how many novels break that mold and actually reflect some of the experiences that we can actually identify with? And the spoken-word circuit is almost completely bereft of strong Desi voices who have skills, spit consciousness, and represent real community issues. That's why we have to really support folks who are trying to do this - from D'Lo to the HP brothers. And why we have to take to the clubs, the dancehalls, and the lyricist lounges to find the next voices of this crazy generation.

I'm tired of getting crappy Asian Avenue Plugged In CDs and wondering where the South Asian voice is. I'm tired of Asian American music and spoken word events that have either no, or worse, that bad self-exoticizing kind of desi artist on the playlist. I would rather they don't appear at all than appear and put another piece about arranged marriage or terrible food metaphors out to represent some twisted worldview as a self- or other-appointed ambassador of desi culture. You can't help it if others label or try to squeeze you into a box, but you most definitely don't have to embrace and perpetuate that perception that you're a voice of a people.

High-end desi art, especially in the world of English-language literature, continues to celebrate a "Renaissance" of sorts, in which Booker and Pulitzer and Nobel seem almost pedestrian prizes for members of the global diaspora. But whose stories are they telling? And if it's art for art's sake - who are they really entertaining? And in setting the mold and the expectations of what stories from brown writers should be like, aren't we backing ourselves, and more troubling - future writers, into a tiny little room from which to write? How can the artist depict different views of the world around her, if she's got the same window to look out from as all her peers and antecedents?

All that said, I think that the stage, with plays and theater, are probably further ahead than any of the other creative art forms, at least in NYC. I have seen a number of performances and short plays that feel more with it - especially stuff that DesiPina Productions has been doing. More power to them. Documentary film-making has also been strong, and getting stronger. But the creative side still feels lacking.

However, the aggressive marketing of cultural products has co-opted most attempts at community arts movement. There's so much space for that kind of work to grow, especially in South Asian communities. Where's our Kearny Street Workshop? Is the Basement Workshop's model - something that we spoke of with reverence, if not complete understanding in the 1990s arts community of NYC - outdated and impossible in the corporate, professionalized community-work environment?

So do yourself and the community a favor - support local art that brings forth local and community voices. It may not be polished, but if it's honest, it will have something that no MFA program is going to teach you: it will begin to give us our anthems to sing as the struggle continues.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kim Thayil is of Indian origin? I did not know that.. way cool!

I heard Soundgarden back in 1993 --what a great counter to that entire unplugged fad --

Rage said...

yeah - but not much of a spokesman.

Rage said...

Good point. I have to find her stuff though - haven't heard it yet.

Rage said...

I definitely agree with you - and we're seeing it happen more (at least on the fringe), but it's so hard when there's a global "Anglo Indian English" industry that's milking the literature side, and embarrassing cultural ambassadors like Julie (the self-dubbed "Curry Mama") on the past season of America's Top Model... *sigh*

Anonymous said...

Heard some of Chee's new stuff from an album called 'Bleak Brown' or something to that effect..very postmodern, cutting edge...has some interesting references and views that i think will/might change some perceptions about what it means to be south asian/brown in america..thats if anyone bothers to support it..peace
fernandes verghese

Rage said...

Thanks for writing. I'm very interested in hearing it - did you get the album somewhere, or was it promo only?

Anonymous said...

promo, I think..he finished his set and passed out cd's that included some freestyles and unreleased stuff. I have their 2 cd's and an old ep they released in '98..found it on ebay.

do you know of any other asian, s. asian emcee's?? I'm not that plugged in to the scene, but would love to hear more. I happened to stumble onto HP on a college radio station and was shocked to find out they were asian

Rage said...

i'm not that plugged in either - but I know that I cited an article in this post - if you find the link, it should have a few s. asian emcees. there are quite a few underground folks in NYC, but I don't know any of them.

I really dug the first Mountain Brothers CD (3 Chinese Am. mc's from Philly), Lyrics Born from the West Coast is Japanese Am., and most of the DJ crews are Pilipino (Invisibl Skrach Pikls, QBert, etc).

I'll post more as I find more.

Anonymous said...

ok, so i've been following the MIA hoopla- does anyone else think that she's good, but not great? does anyone think she's being sold as a revolution wet dream? what politics does she really discuss?

would a s.asian male be able to sell/be propelled, w/ all that hype as an "Exotic South Asian"??

what's worse is that a lot of S.Asian friends are buying into the hype..some w/ valid reasons, others seem to perpetuate all that os wrong w/ this exotification bs that seems to be sweeping through.

Rage said...

I hear you on that, Anon. I think that's actually what I've been feeling, and I do feel that it's a gendered response, though I haven't heard all of her music.

ADF still rocks, though.

Anonymous said...

Yeah- ADF is dope..feels like there just aren't enough options in terms of truly dope S.Asian artists in America..there's a bunch of half ass acts and mimicry, but there's only a handful I really dig..oliver rajumani is dope...vijay iyer is tight, some of his stuff is over my head though, himiliyan project is dope, who else? hmmm- -
damn- can someone get all these people in 1 room and let em jam out?
also..i hear from one of my friends's friends(someone in the music) industry, that there is talk about s.asian rappers making a few industry people take notice..any guesses as to who might be the "breakout" artist?...

Rage said...

I don't know oliver rajumani. where's he from + what's his music and where can I hear it?

i think that there's some great stuff out of the UK - fun^da^mental, nitin sawhney (not political, but really talented), etc... but I agree, the pickings are slim.

I think that there's an underground scene, but it's so far underground that I can't find it.

pimple (breakout) artist: uh... I can venture a guess.

Anonymous said...

Rajamani is from Austin, TX-

http://cdbaby.com/cd/rajamani

wow..i just followed some of the links of this blog...there are apparently a bunch of south asian artists out there!!

nice....what a way to spend work hours...

Anonymous said...

http://cdbaby.com/cd/rajamani

he's from austin, tx.

Rage said...

awesome - I didn't know about him. I'll have to check him out. There are some out there - I'll keep looking, too, so if you happen to know of anything, I'd love to post an update.

Anonymous said...

Is there a way to post sounds on these things (blogs)? it's probably illegal though huh?

would love to exchange music, etc- esp. since some of these artists stuff is hard to get

Rage said...

I think that the best we can do (legally) is post up links to places where sound is available - if even clips. I would love to have artists use a central location as a place of exchange where they can share their new sounds - I wonder if something like that is out there, because it feels like there's a growing interest.

I know that there's more for the "Asian American" music scene (though there's no such genre, of course, just the artists), but it's notoriously non-desi... either because folks don't know, or because they haven't conducted solid outreach.

I'll think about this more though - because I'd love to do something.

Anonymous said...

not sure that the artists would want their sounds up, but I just want to get my hands on good music...i actually emailed some of the artists and asked if they had other stuff that wasnt 'officially released' but was available for purchase- awaiting responses..
i just heard Karmacy's stuff-- my friend is convinced they are the ones to watch for-

Rage said...

I haven't heard Karmacy yet - did you hear the new one, "The Movement"?

Are they progressive? I have no idea.

Anonymous said...

yes, it sounds good- not sure if it's the type of progressive hip hop that I listen to, but i can see why my friend is convinced that they are going to break out as "the" s.asian rappers in america.

As a bi-racial person who is only recently discovering my s. asian roots, I am very interested in racial politics/music and how it's been represented.

But that's just it, i feel like for non-white/non-black artists to make it, they need an angle-- especially in mainstream music like rock and rap.
Is is possible for S.Asian artists to truly be themselves and be major without selling out in some way or the other?
I hope my rants are not philosophical ejaculations, but i'm just fascinated by how America will respond to the fastest growing popluation in the country.

Rage said...

I think that the artists CAN be themselves, but they have to be ready to do it without much support. It's just too small a niche to play to just our community... and if they want to break big - it's hard to stay true without being essentialized.

Not sure that desis are the fastest growing community, though.

Thanks for writing - and for tuning in.