Feb 3, 2005

Skipped the speech, pass the nachos

WorkTunes:
The Essential Bruce Springsteen

Had dinner with a few of my favorite cousins in the city last night, at Dragonfly, an old standard that D, my sister, and I have been going to for a while. I haven't had a bad meal there, though there are some dishes that I definitely recommend over others. It's a great place to go with a mixed crowd (veggie + non-veggie, drinkers + non-drinkers), convenient for NJ'ers (5 minutes from the Holland Tunnel) and even close to Basement Bhangra. We had a great time, and it reminded me that you don't need an occasion to see people that you care about.

In going out late, we skipped the State of the GOP address. I guess we didn't give it a second thought while scheduling for the week. Just like I didn't think twice that I'll be speaking at an upstate college on SuperBowl Sunday. The State of the Union and the biggest single-day event in American sports are both commercial magnets, with the GOP vying for our attention and our hearts in the same manner as their buddies in corporate Amerika. With the fall-out from the Janet Jackson/Justin Timberlake half-time show of last year, even the commercials this Sunday aren't going to be that entertaining.

I pass. No thanks. Give me an ultimate tournament, a third-party candidate stump speech, anything but the carefully primed, proper, and pathetic barrage of images and imagery that both events will present.

UPDATED:
Looks like I'm not the only one making the leap from elephant to pigskin.

No comments: