Feb 28, 2005

It's Snowing!

Yet another storm... and while we brace ourselves once again, weatherweary and longing for warmer days, I feel a distinct sense of sadness as I realize that this may be the last real storm for another year. While it is such a challenge to go through life's regular routine in this weather, it is wonderful to curl up to a favorite movie with your favorite person, or to catch up on the articles that you have been squirreling away for a rainy... or snowy... day. The longing for snow that came with youth returns for so many of us, but are we too concerned with the everyday worries that trouble us now to truly enjoy the gift that we have been granted to see another winter storm?

While I long for the days to celebrate the turning of the seasons with my progeny, I am trying very hard to enjoy it even now, in the twilight of my extended post-adolescence. Perhaps you have to grow up in this weather to feel this sense of wonder whenever the snow comes down this hard. I can close my eyes and almost remember that feeling of hope that Calvin feels when he hopes for no school... that ultimate joy of being able to sit inside and watch the storm change my entire playground, and waking to a brisk clear sky and so many activities outside of the tired circle of school and home.

I guess it also comes from growing up in a small town, where the snow stays white and there are trees everywhere that are just covered in a dazzling array of snow, ice, and crystal. For me, the memories are not intermingled with Christmas, but rather with thoughts of my parents at home, our small family together in some snapshot of self-contained happiness, maybe Mom making pancakes, Dad getting ready to shovel the sidewalk, each of us content in our own corners, or our convening in the kitchen.

Time moves so quickly, sometimes. You wish that you took full advantage of those moments when you had them. The best that we can do is do so with what we have in front of us now...

No comments: