Apr 17, 2007

V-Tech.

Words are failing me, and I'm not going to take up more space spinning here. It's terrible. People shouldn't have to mourn the untimely death of students (or anyone). It's easy to sit comfortably and ponder and pontificate about this. But I'm not connected to it directly, and it's just disrespectful to those who lost their lives for nothing. So while I'll read, and I'll think about it, and I'll fret over the unfortunate thoughts that people have around possible backlash... I just can't talk about it much right now. Stay tuned into the brother at Angry Asian Man, who's doing a good job of revealing some of the craziness on different angles of this tragedy.

It's just infuriating that people will use this human tragedy as fodder for their personal agendas, from gun control to anti-immigrant rhetoric. Have some respect for the families. Shut up for a while. Just reminds me of what I was feeling about September 11th and New York for a long time. Too many voices, not enough silence, at least outside of NYC. Inside, we were all silent, broken, together.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too many voices outside, not enough silence inside. That's a really good way of putting it. I can't believe that people are already using this to fuel their political agendas, on both sides. It just seems so wrong and disrespectful to the dead.

Rage said...

Thanks for reading/writing. And I definitely feel that way too. But it's crazy how fast Michelle Malkin and the far right were out of the gate on the "let's take gun control off the table" angle.

For a much more in-depth look at how this event may affect the Korean diasporic community (backlash notwithstanding), check out this post.