Apr 19, 2007

down on every side.

I've been reading the blog of a fellow student in school who I hang out with sometimes. He only told me about his site once, so I don't know if he knows I read it, but damn. I wish he'd cheer up a bit. It seems like he's got some pretty ambivalent feelings about most aspects of his life, from school to his home situation to his purpose in life. I don't even see him raving about... anything. I mean, I complain here once in a while (smirk away, faithful reader), but I'm a happy person, generally. I mean, is it just a function of realizing how blessed we are when we're in the moment? Is it really that hard to think that way? I don't think that my life is particularly spectacular, but I really feel like I've got good things and people around me, starting with numero uno at home.

But maybe there's a certain cache in being/seeming miserable. It's hard to tell. But it's incredibly boring to me. I mean, angst about your own life and your own ups and downs is boring even if it ends up appearing in rants all the time. But mopey posts are just painful. Just keep that shit in your head, man, and work it out. Community workers should be joyful people, or else the burdens of the world (and especially those that less fortunate people than you have to carry) will bury us.

Listen to your old joy division tapes, light up a spliff, do whatever it takes to get yourself out of it. There's a lot of work to do.

No comments: