Mar 23, 2005

Chained, but in sight of the key

Sound Off:
Megadeth: Rust in Peace

Today was the day that I realized that I am finally heading in the right direction on my life's path. The journey has been all but straight, and I anticipate and welcome the curves that lay ahead, but at least I'm soon to get off this goddamn caravan of idiots that I call my current dayjob.

I had a couple of two-hour conversations today, the first with my current boss, the second with my boss for 2 year who I view very much as the one true mentor figure that I've come across, at least in the older activist crowd. I can't even begin to describe the world of difference between the first and second conversations. But most importantly, the first confirmed for me that I've really got to reset my internal clock for when to bail from a sinking ship. Over the course of more than 4 years, I have been loyal, I have taken on the jobs that no one else would, and I've played nice with my clueless co-workers. I've associated myself with an institution that can't get its head out of the sand, and surely have been tied with its inability to commit to a position on specific policy issues, absolutely quixotic pursuit of pie-in-the-sky and high-concept strategies, and top-down approach to communities.

My decision to go to school has been plagued with a deep personal conflict about how the overeducated class has dominated the power structure of so-called community-based work, and also a deep-set resistance to the whole trend of law-degree wielding neophytes grabbing up all the jobs, legal or otherwise, in the field of community service, organizing, and advocacy. I was not convinced that a graduate degree was the right way to go - couldn't I do more, and make more of an impact by releasing myself from the shackles of this organization and moving on to become part of an organizing or advocacy group?

Do I want to be a part of the cadre of lawyers who have infiltrated most spaces, usually operate within the confines of legal thinking, and have shifted the dialogue around community empowerment and growth into one almost wholly about legal rights (when I believe that transformative societal change is not rooted solely in assuring "fair share" in a system that is in itself inherently unjust, unfair, and in many ways just plain sucks)?

***

But now I see that leaving this job to attend school is not only a way to develop my skill set far more effectively than the dead-end job in which I'm currently situated. It is also a way for me to release myself from the confines of structured (and routine) thinking connected with the life of an organization. Even if the school that I eventually choose does not have the brightest or most progressive curriculum, I will be able to learn both in the classroom, and through the experience of being off campus, and a student in the field of local communities again, in a way that I haven't been for so long, if ever.

Shedding the skin, and the baggage, even, of working in a community or a supposed community organization is a refreshing step. I look forward to moving freely again, without the encumbrance of a past life. I look forward to being new, and learning anew, without the entrenched politics of the professionalized, 501(c)(3) setting. I look forward to being a volunteer in causes that I care about. So onward, as the time to decide between the schools that have accepted me draws ever nearer.

3 comments:

Rage said...

I'm prepared for this next phase. I definitely feel that I'm grounded as I prepare to start, and it helps that I'm surrounded by folks who have gone down this path, as well as others who have not (conscientious objectors?).

I'm definitely clear that these are separate decisions - although school ends up being the "safe haven" for many seeking refuge from the weary 9 - 5 tedium, I definitely am not one of those folks. I delayed going to school for so long because I don't want to be out of the workforce, out of the pulse of the communities that I care about, as it were. But then I started to think - and realized that I'm not really in it much at this point anyway.

So a fresh new perspective, and the opportunity to learn the legalese the surrounds us more and more (and come up with an alternative way of using the legal education for what I want to do) is what I'm focused on right now. And hopefully, the opportunity to write more bad poetry as well.

Rage said...

yet another great acronym. CNAO.

We'll have to see. If I have time to blog during school (who am I kidding, of course I'll make time), it will be very interesting.

We'll see. I have one evening program option, which may work out best, because at least I can work/do other things for some of the time. Applying the education? Maybe.

Rage said...

thanks burnedouteyes. i'll keep posting as my mood and view on this whole thing changes...