May 16, 2005

Is Sree Ganesha Having Cold One (or Two) a Hate Crime?



Oh man. This is just too rich. Read about this innovative new beer (from California, of course) on Overlawyered, via Sepia Mutiny.

I think there are two things that are most interesting here. First, the fact that they have Sree Ganesha holding the beers, cracks me up because it's so irreverent that you wonder if they understand that these are sacred icons that they are playing with. Sheesh - devout Christians get bent out of shape when you take the Lord's name in vain. What the hell do you call this then? I would assume a one way ticket to the seventh level of hell. Still, I have always liked Sree Ganesha, and think that if there's any deity in the lexicon of Hindu deities who would be down for a beer and be able to party with Bacchus.

The second piece of this that cracks me up, though, is that there's actually someone suing the beer company stating that this label constitutes a hate crime. It's quite a remarkable angle to take, granted I haven't researched the precedent on this one, but I don't know where he's going to get with this lawsuit. I love that he's asking for at least $25,000, but that $1 billion would be more appropriate, for Hindus around the world.

Let's see how this works. $25,000 if it's just for me, but I think $1 Billion if for close to 600 million Hindus around the world. Which works out to about $1.67 each. which in turn, I suppose they can invest in buying a more respectable beer like He'Brew. L'Chaim, indeed.

No comments: