Jan 31, 2005

SMS.ac Part II... and tech era plagues

So I've now complained to the California State Department of Consumer Affairs about SMS.ac. They have sent out emails to my contacts 4 times. I'm getting more and more irate.

But there is a plus side to this. As a result of this slimy program sending out emails indiscriminately to all the folks in my address book, there are people with whom I've not been in contact for many moons who are coming out of the woodwork to email and touch base. I've been in touch with 3 former interns in the last week, partially because they received something from me through SMS.ac and wanted to check-in to make sure all was legit. So in some odd way, SMS.ac is inadvertently bringing me closer to some people. It's also giving me the chance to remind folks that I have this little blog by pointing them to the short piece that I wrote about SMS.ac.

Not that I'm all supportive and lovey dovey about them now - but still, it's an interesting sidebar to one of the unique dilemmas that plague us and take up our spare time in the hyper-information age in which we live.

---

Another such dilemma that plagues us in this age, and seems to be plaguing me a lot more than others is the occasional wipe out of all my bookmarks that I have patiently gathered, organized, and arranged just so, only to have to do it all over again when some unknown alignment of stars or keystrokes wipes them all clean from my bookmarks toolbar folder in FireFox. I can't even begin to write how annoying it is to want to just click on one of my bookmarks, only to find nothing there. The last time it happened, I didn't even try to find the file. I just went back to all the sites and bookmarked them all over again. Good thing I'm not doing much extensive research, or else I'd definitely be more upset. But who would have thought of this problem even 5 years ago?

***

I might as well gripe about email spam as well, though it's nothing new for anyone out there who uses email regularly. My work email gets clogged to no end - after our trip to India, I was greeted with more than 2500 emails, 90% of which were spam. What a colossal waste of time. If there were spammers in Dante's time, I think that their hell would be to force them to an eternity of correcting the spelling on each of the emails that their poor victims receive, by hand.

No comments: