May 6, 2004

Dubya, "them People", Air America and Frontline

This just in from the head 'o' state last week:

For the full article, go here.

Appearing Friday in the Rose Garden with Canada's prime minister, President Bush was answering a reporter's question about Canada's role in Iraq when suddenly he swerved into this extraneous thought:

"There's a lot of people in the world who don't believe that people whose skin color may not be the same as ours can be free and self-govern. I reject that. I reject that strongly. I believe that people who practice the Muslim faith can self-govern. I believe that people whose skins aren't necessarily -- are a different color than white can self-govern."

click for audio

You know what? This guy is nutty. I hope he gets out there and speaks the good word more often. I'm really thinking that the world has to hear what he's got to say. It's quite amusing. Speaking of which - I've been really hooked on Air America radio. It's not that the quality of the reporting on the liberal radio station is wonderful at all times (quality control will eventually kick in, but I like it raw). Unfiltered in the morning is quite funny, and it's good to hear Chuck D speak out against the perpetuation of the running gag William Hung. That joke isn't funny anymore - stop picking on the Asian kid. Anyway, the yuck yucks are occasionally plentiful, and I've got to say - it's nice to say "yeah!" to talk radio once in a while.

Through Air America, I learned of a really great resource online - I didn't know that PBS archives their Frontline reports online, available anytime in streaming format (although it's not always dependable). You should check it out - I watched A Class Divided today, and it was actually quite amazing how Jane Elliott taught 3rd graders in Iowa what the impact of discrimination could be in their life, in 1970, and then come full circle to speak with them 14 years later to see what the impact of a 2-day exercise had in their life. I was TRIPPING to hear these young adults from the deep Midwest talk about discrimination and how they will teach their kids about how it's wrong to discriminate against someone on any basis. One of the young women even spoke fairly eloquently of the injustice of the American World War II Japanese American concentration camps. Quite deep. I want to watch a bunch of others - but The Jesus Factor about Bush and the evangelical agenda is the next one on my list.