Aug 28, 2008

Heavy Metal Monk: Fratello Metallo



This is a real monk from Italy who was so taken by heavy metal that he decided to create a band and sing without pushing his faith on people too hard. The dude says he was inspired by Metallica but he could sure teach those losers a thing or two.

There are a range of really interesting metal books and films coming out. Heavy Metal in Baghdad made the circuits in film festivals last year. There's a new film that I'm very anxious to see, called Global Metal, by the excellent director (metalhead who is also an anthropologist) of "Metal: A Headbanger's Journey." The film tag "7 Countries, 3 Continents, 1 Tribe" captures a lot of the allure for me, actually. I'm looking forward to seeing that one and will report back once I track it down.

Meanwhile, get a good trappist beer and rock out to Fratello Metallo. Man, these monks are cool.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I don't do it to convert people to Christ...I do it to convert people to life and understand life."

That is awesome, thanks for the post.

Rage said...

Thanks for checking it out! Sometimes I'm hesitant to post about my love affair with metal, just because I know APA radical folks don't tend to share that passion, but you gotta be true.

And yeah - a post about the wonder of YouTube must be forthcoming from either of us!

Anonymous said...

You gotta do you, man. There's a bar in Atlanta that has a saturday night metal karaoke night called Metalsome. I hear it's supposed to be pretty awesome.

Whatever, man, APA radicals need to practice what they preach and break out of the boxes we put each other in. Keep on posting, brother.

Rage said...

I definitely hear that. And I would so go to that karaoke night. I think I'm gonna have to find a way down to ATL.